Atheism: A Belief System or Knowledge of Nature


Atheists don't have any particular belief system or an ideology of sorts. Recently discussing this with a friend I faced queries like why then was this suffix 'ism' in atheism, or what atheists believed in if there was no belief system in atheism? “That means you don’t believe in anything” was his reaction and then said in a lighter vein, “Nihilist perhaps”.

Atheism to me doesn't mean a strict and codified doctrine of some faith or a divine revelation. It should also not mean to imply an anti-god decree or ‘ism’ - a reactionary phrase in other words. Atheism means non-theism or absence of theism. Theism in itself is not any particular religion but very much part of every organized religion. Theism is a belief in god / gods while atheism means absence of that. The same way atheism can be a part of an ideology or philosophy. For example, Indian philosophy has atheism as an integral part of it.

Similarly, it is not a belief system following any tenets laid down by some god or his prophet. It is not like believing that god finished off creation in six tiresome days and took a well deserved rest on the seventh. Or like this one, contrary to all sensibility, that a virgin gave birth to some god's son. Or that all those non-believers would be put in the fire of hell once their prophet returned to this earth a second time.

Atheism is not an ideology (no holy book, no commandments, no prophet or god, no prayer, no sword, no Kalashnikov).  My atheism is a knowledge system based on science and scientific methods of inquiry, experimentation and understanding. I don’t just believe it, but in fact I am a material product of this nature evolved during the continuous process of evolution. I don’t have a, what people call, soul or any other feature within me which isn’t physical or physically caused.

My morality and behavior emerge from a value system which I have developed genetically/biologically and/or imbibed from the environment and natural surroundings that as a human being or social animal I have to adapt to. Similarly, I have no free will to cause any action of my own and all my actions are a result of interaction with the environment around me. This absence of free will doesn’t mean presence of something predestined.

Atheism is a synergy between me and nature based on my behavior and actions in consonance with nature’s unpredictable laws and ever changing environs. The more I synchronize with nature the better I understand atheism.

In short atheism is nature; nothing more nothing less



Comments

  1. I agree with what you have said. Actually people are so conditioned with old beliefs that they have never thought beyond those beliefs . There understanding towards beliefs are just like a parrot , if you ask somebody why you are giving water to sun daily he would be having a ready made answer my father does so, my grandfather does do so , so do it.
    Now this old system of believing has made him Stubbed and narrow towards new ides and research.

    Let me come to a point of free will , nobody has a free will we are derived by some kind of wishes , desires, or what motivates us to achieve something . Apart from that environmental impact is always present.

    Guru Nanak has said :"There are so many stubborn-minded intelligent people, and so many who contemplate the Vedas. There are so many entanglements for the soul. Only as Gurmukh do we find the Gate of Liberation. Truth is higher than everything; but higher still is truthful living."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks indeed, Abhinav, for your valuable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sir, We are from Periyar Thidal, Chennai. recalling your participation at World Atheist Conference 2011 held at Trichirapalli. Can you please advise your email id for a vital correspondence with you.
    Kindly mail us to:
    rationalistforum@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Prince. You can write to me at rksudan@gmail.Com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment