This Resilience

As a dumb Indian I have been hearing over decades now, these words and phrases spoken by Indian leaders of substance and some powerful individuals who matter, during the times of crisis;

Resilience, cultural and religious harmony, perpetrators will be brought to justice, dastardly acts, terror has no religion, and many more.

With each bomb blast or an act of terror in India, I pulled out my dictionary and thesaurus to check out if meanings of these words had changed over the time.
Alas, nothing seems to have changed or be changing.

Resilience still means cowardice, a dastardly act still remains dastardly, the perpetrators are still at large, secularism yet to be properly defined, and religions, purportedly, are still full of peace and harmony.

May be one day, I too will be ripped apart by one such blast and my children will find solace in these big words spoken by some big people and then they will rush to find the meanings the same way as I do today.

I am not sure if the meanings would change for them but the colour of those pages would certainly have turned red. Yes, blood red.

I wonder how many pages have to turn blood red to change the meaning of these dreaded words.

Comments