Da Nang & Hoi An, Vietnam

Da Nang & Hoi An, Vietnam

Vietnam is a fascinating country. It has all, from sun kissed beaches to lush green highlands that mesmerize a nature lover into their lap. My three-week long vacation was to start in the south at Ho Chi Minh city and end up at Ha Giang – the most attractive of highlands in the northern most part of Vietnam. However, a day before I was to land in HCMC on 06 Nov 2017, typhoon Damrey struck the Vietnam coastline, wrecking havoc in the central part. Continuous and heavy rains splashed all over the country. Nha Trang, the beautiful coastal location with pristine beaches got the worst of battering and Hoi An – the traditional location in Vietnam laid inundated till the 8th. My Homestay, however, informed me that the water was receding and they were ready to welcome me on the 9th evening. I landed at Danang airport late in the evening and reached Hoi An (30 km) where the courtyard was still damp and slushy. Hoi An would be my home for the next 5 days.

The Old Town, Hoi An
 With Hoi An as the base I did the destinations of Hue and My Son besides visiting the modern and commercial city Danang. My visit to Danang coincided with the APEC Summit (Nov 06-11) where world biggies including President Trump were to participate in the summit meet. The beach was closed with heavy security around the venue at the sea front.

Danang has many bridges over the Han river which flows through the city. On the weekend nights two of its bridges are decorated with lights of various colours. A particular attraction is the light show at the “Dragon bridge”. Dragon Bridge (Cau Rong) is a 666 m long bridge looking like a golden dragon decorated with LED in the shape of scales on the dragon’s body.

People, local as well foreigners, throng this bridge to witness the light show. I was also there to enjoy the show and record the sight on my camera. Here is some pictures:

Decorated arches welcoming APEC delegates



The Dragon Bridge over river Han
Another bridge (cable stayed) glittering at night.





Owing to continuous rains I had to drop my plans to visit Nha Trang and further up to Hanoi and Ha Giang. I was sort of forced to leave this Vietnam trip halfway. But they say, there always is a next time. 

The Highlands aren’t to be missed.

Hoi An River Front Market


Comments