Jordan Impressions ..2.



Jordan impressions .. 2

While searching the internet before taking up my trip I found it mentioned many times that Jordan was an expensive place to visit. However after visiting that country I can safely say that Jordan is not that expensive. I found it cheaper than doing some domestic destinations, for example; our own and the best in India -Ladakh.

The Jordan pass
In my opinion the Jordan Pass is the best thing to happen to a Jordan bound tourist.  Buy this pass online (I paid 76 JOD) and get away with the rigour of standing in the queues before the ticket windows at monuments / tourist attractions. The pass also ensures a hassle free entry into the country. Show your Jordan Pass at the immigration and your passport is stamped immediately. Nobody asked me any question as I was past the immigration counter within two or three minutes.

Not an Oil nation
Jordan is not a petroleum rich nation. They say there are only two or three local refineries. Their petroleum needs are fulfilled by the imports from Iraq and Saudi Arabia. One litre of petrol costs 0.76 JOD. That’s about the same as we pay here in India for a litre of petrol. Jordan has a strong currency - Jordanian Dinar (JOD) which exchanges for 1.30 / 1.35 USD. INR 91 to one JOD was the official exchange rate in march 2018 when I made the trip to Jordan. However, at the Western Union they would exchange it at the rate of 1 dinar for 100 Indian rupees. No questions asked. Only your rupee notes have to be crisp and uncreased.

Transportation
The International airport is 35 Km south of the city. Air-conditioned buses ply between the North Bus Station and the airport as a regular service. The fare charged is JOD 3.30. The taxi driver will normally ask for 30 to 35. If you want to come to downtown Amman (Near to the citadel and Amphitheater) take a shared white taxi that will charge you half a dinar. A yellow taxi will charge you anything from five to ten dinars. The distance is about 3 km. From down town to the South Bus Station is about 8 Km. From my hotel near the amphitheater I paid JOD 2 to reach the south bus station. There also one can look for a shared taxi (they call it ‘service’ or ‘servees’) from the south to the north bus station.

Accessibility to The Dead Sea
There is a ‘hotels area’ by the dead sea. It is 5 Km from the village of Sweimeh – the nearest village and transportation hub. All the good hotels are concentrated in this area. I came from wadi Rum via Petra following the Dead Sea Highway. Just before the start of the dead sea one can see the Isreal landscape with the greenery remarkably visible in contrast to the barren desert on the Jordanian side.

Back to Amman
Sunset over the Wadi Rum desertscape
After the Dead Sea sojourn is over it is time to move over to Amman. The taxi charges are quoted at anything between 30 and 40 JOD. For those who have a tight schedule to follow taxi seems to be the only option. However, if planned well, one can reach Amman in 3 dinars. Take a shared taxi to Sweimeh (1 JOD) and from there take a bus to the south station (2 JOD). These are minibuses carrying around 20 passengers. There is no direct bus from the south bus station to the airport. Again take a shared taxi (they call it ‘servees’) to the north bus station and from there take the AC bus (3.30 JOD) to the airport.
 
One man, three wives and many children
We are 25 siblings (15 brothers, 10 sisters). Our father has three living wives and they are presently camping in the desert near the Saudi border. This is what Raezd – my driver cum guide told me in Wadi Rum. His father has a large caravan of camels and herd of sheep and goat. Raezd is a Bedouin – a nomadic tribe of the desert. The Bedouins are the original inhabitants of Oman and Jordan. They are majorly found in the southern part of the country. He has five children from his only wife. I jokingly asked him if he ever thought of taking another wife or wives. He answered in the negative but added that he was free to marry more women if he so wished. What about your present wife, will you consult her? I asked him. Where is the need to seek her permission, was his answer. I am a man and it is my prerogative.

What if she doesn’t take it well and protested your decision? Well, she has no right to oppose my decision. At the most she will be sulking for a week or ten days. Then I will tell her to end the drama else …! What this else? I asked Raezd. He said that he will threaten her with divorce and she will fall in line. That’s what most people do to subjugate their wives. “Are you serious, Raezd”, I asked. Yes, Sheikh. I follow my religion piously.

(Raezd and many other Jordanians considered me an Arab. They said I looked like one of them in that trade mark chequered headgear)








Comments