Kandy to Ella by Train


Kandy to Ella by Train
Every traveller to Sri Lanka has a train journey in mind and eagerly looks forward to completing it. The train passes through probably the most picturesque surrounding from Kandy to Ella. Various travelers have given their views on the details of the journey always emphasizing the spellbinding beauty of the landscape. I found it completely true when I boarded a train at Kandy and got down six hours later at Ella, covering a distance of 140 km.

Inside a third class coach. Spacious and comfortable.
The train system in Sri Lanka is very efficient and seems very well managed. Trains run on time and are comfortable to ride. Before embarking on my trip to Sri Lanka I did good research on the internet about different modes of transportation including the railways and the roadways. I found some negative points expressed by some bloggers/writers about the trains; like they were slow, rickety, dirty, and always crowded. I found this completely untrue when I boarded a train at Paradeniya (Kandy). So satisfying was my experience that I booked my back journey from Ella to Colombo via the same scenic route as I took it from Kandy to Ella.

The Blue Train. Platforms (above) are clean and orderly.
They have three classes; first, second, and third. The first class windows are glass sealed. Active tourists and photography enthusiasts wouldn’t opt for this class for the obvious reason. Moreover, finding tickets for the first class is almost impossible if you are not booking months in advance. Sri Lanka train tickets can’t be booked online. The second class is a preferred class but again has to be booked fairly in advance. Here windows can be opened for clicking photos right from your seat. The third class is the most convenient one. Moreover, seats can be reserved up to one day in advance. Surprisingly, I found people getting a current reservation on the morning train. TCR, as they call it – third class reserved.

Women picking tea leaves.
I was impressed by this class for the quality of the seats and the space it provided. I didn’t miss the second class AC of Indian trains while travelling third class in Sri Lanka. The 3AC is cramped in India, not in SL.

The trains are slow as the track passes through hilly terrain. What the British had started in order to carry tea leaves from plantations that abound the route, has now become an iconic mark of transportation and a tourist attraction in the misty hills of Sri Lanka. They sell snacks onboard like samosas, wadas, buns, peanuts, and cookies. Sliced pineapple is also available. Hot tea is served and rice & curry can be booked to order too.

The biggest plus point of this slow train is that you never get bored or tired of sitting long hours. The journey is not monotonous. I felt fresh and agile all through the six hours of the first leg and nine hours of my return journey, three days later, up to Colombo.
All in all, the best experience on the tracks.
Kudos, Sri Lanka railways!

SOME PHOTOS I CLICKED










(Visited Jan 2020)


Comments